HISTORIC > ALLIED ARTS GUILD



  • PROJECT INFORMATION

    CLIENT: Allied Arts Guild Auxilary, www.alliedartsguild.org
    LOCATION: Arbor Drive, Menlo Park, California
    SIZE: 21,000 Square Feet
    COST: $8,000,000

    PROJECT DESCRIPTION

    The Allied Arts Guild in Menlo Park is a collection of Spanish-style buildings designed by the locally prominent architect, Pedro de Lemos. Built in 1929, the buildings had fallen into a state of decay and disrepair, forcing the closing of this important regional destination. After a massive renovation undertaken by CAW, the Guild today is a thriving collection of small artisan shops, a restaurant, and conference spaces. The non-profit Allied Arts Guild Auxilary manages the Allied Arts Guild, and proceeds from the Guild are donated to the Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford.

    CAW worked closely with the client and contractor to establish the budget parameters of the project. The entire renovation was completed in ten months and was brought in on budget despite the many challenges presented in the field. Today the gardens flourish and tour buses bring crowds of visitors to the Guild year round.

    HOW CAW DID THIS

    • CAW gathered extensive documentation of all the buildings, artifacts, and gardens.
    • The architects participated in fundraising efforts through speaking engagements and construction tours for major donors.
    • CAW went to great lengths to protect valuable murals and artwork from the impacts of construction.
    • Decorative concrete floors, hand-made light fixtures, extensive tile work, and wrought iron details were protected and refurbished.
    • The architects designed seismic upgrading, ADA access, and all new utilities, and coordinated the efforts of numerous specialists and consultants.

    KEY PARTICIPANTS

    STRUCTURAL: Degenkolb Engineers, www.degenkolb.com
    LANDSCAPE: PGA Design Inc, www.pgadesign.com
    CONTRACTOR: Blach Construction, www.blach.com